Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Barbershops provide more than haircuts




Typically people search for places within their communities where they are able to relax and feel comfortable,titillate and energize their senses,and body, and educate their mind, often while obtaining a functional service.

Barbershops are such a place where a functional service can be obtained. Obviously haircuts and shaves can be gotten there. However barbershops also provide a deeper and more meaningful venue for many people in a community. Barbershops are hangouts, for meeting and greeting, for passing time with friends and strangers.

"The barbershop is like the hub of the neighborhood and everyone wants to come in even if they do not need a haircut", said barber Jason Van Aarde, 24, of Westbury, New York. He went on to explain how people sit around and play cards, chess, eat, and gossip. This seemed to be the typical response from barbers from a variety of different types of neighborhoods and communities when asked what type of role barbershops play in a given community.

"I get calls all day from clients asking me to come in early even if I am not working that day," said barber Wally Camancho, 29, of Queens, New York.

"I love being an asset to the community," said barbershop owner Alonzo Ferguson, 35, of Queens, New York. "I really try to provide a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere at my barbershop". I recently remodeled my shop, installing plasma screens and surround sound". "The customers love all the changes".

Most barbershops make it their business to keep up on current trends in hair cuts and styles. when a customer patronizes a particular barbershop, the customer will generally ask for the same barber each time they go. Having this option available provides a certain comfort zone.

"It's great when I walk into my shop because everyone knows me, and my barber gives me the usual," said Joel Chavez of East Meadow, New York.

"I love to stop in at my barbershop, chill and catch up on the latest news". "The best thing is that I don't even have to say a word to my barber". "The dude knows just how I like it",says student Benjamin Levy, 25, of Hempstead, New York.

Barbershops supply more than haircuts for many of its customers,"I love dropping by when I have nothing to do, because something is always happening in the barbershop," said Joshua Clouden, 18, of Queens, New York.

"After school, myself and some friends go to the barbershop around the corner and listen to the older guys talk about stuff ranging from politics to baseball, as well as chowing down on fried chicken and rice," said Andrew Luna, 19, of Levittown, New York.

"The barbershop in my new neighborhood is so boring compared to where I used to get haircuts at that I started going back there," said Matthew Diaz, 19, of Bronx, New York.

Many of the customers feel as if the barbershop is an extension of their home. "Every time the owner adds something new in the shop, I notice it immediately," said Joel Sparks, 18, of Queens, New York.


No comments:

Post a Comment